The air is chilly now, which means our homes are all wanting us to not forget some basic reminders. These important 10 tips for getting your home ready for winter will help your home from a potential disaster. HCS Roofing & Restoration provides complimentary home inspects year-round. Our team is ready to help knock out some of these items on your winter prep to-do list.
Top 10 Tips for getting your home ready for winter.
- Test your smoke and carbon monoxide detectors.
- Look for any ailing tree limbs. When ice occurs these limbs are the first to cause massive damage.
- Insulate your windows. Drafts due to uninsulated windows can create expensive heating bills.
- Have your chimney inspected. A thorough inspection can provide the best viewpoint of any issues with your chimney.
- Check to make sure all of your roof shingles are secure. When a snow or ice storm hits you will know instantly if you have a leaky roof.
- Clean and inspect your gutters. If water freezes in the gutter because of excessive debris blocking it from draining, it’s going to force melting snow and ice underneath the shingles and into your home, causing leaks, mold, and water stains.
- Add insulation to your home. Insulation will maintain higher temperatures in your home.
- Paint, caulk and seal exterior wood.
- Check your home’s heating and air conditioning system.
- Shut down the pool and the sprinkler system and drain outside faucets.